Thursday, September 18, 2008

Inside Tijuana's Notorious Penitenciary


Crazy week.


Inmates at Tijuana's infamous state penitentiary riot TWICE, and I get to dodge the bullets and film and photograph Mexican authorities as they attempt to bring order to the place.

I wasn't sure what was worse: standing with the masses and risk getting teargas (or worse) by police, or stand alongside the riot police as hundreds threw chunks of concrete.

This is a picture I took looking into the prison through a hole that inmates made while trying to escape. Good thing they didn't. Outside there were dozens of heavily armed federal police ready to shot. The metal fence was already full of bullet holes.

Crazy.

1 comment:

Rowdy said...

I think a new spanish word I learned could work here, "balacera" or however you spell it.

What you write about and do greatly intrigues me. Please keep writing as I will be following your blog regularly now.